kf5 5.7 utopic backports saga

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Mar 3 08:21:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:41 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

>>> This sounds like a realistic idea to me.  We don't seem to have the
>>> energy needed for a kf5 backport, we've said there won't be an upgrade
>>> root for 14.10 plasma5 to 15.04, so we'd be perfectly ok it's just a
>>> tech preview and it won't get any better.
>>
>> how does one prevent the user from upgrading if they have next packages?
>>
>> HS
>
> The user will be unable to upgrade, if my experience is at all common.
> If there are no updates, they won't be tempted to, right?

They will be able to upgrade to 15.04. It just will break their system.

> We warned next users long ago that upgrade to 15.04 would not be
> supported.

That's my point. We didn't. We warned people who read our web
resources (website, wiki wherever we put that information). If a user
got information on installing plasma5 from a third party they will
most certainly not have gotten this warning (in part because we
weren't pushing it a lot). In fact even if they used our board tools
(add-apt-repository) to add the PPA they would not have been informed
of the support status of the PPA as the description says nothing about
support [1].
So all those users know is that they re running plasma5. At some point
they'll be prompted to upgrade to 15.04 and then things will go boom
and the users will get pissed off and complain somewhere about the
shitty upgrade and then whoever they complained to will get pissed off
because 3 million people all complain about the same thing and then we
will get pissed off for having blown up innocent systems.

> What I'm advocating is no more upgrades in next or next
> backports in 14.10 either.

Less work is always fine with me ;)

[1] https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/next