[kubuntu-devel] Re: [kubuntu-devel] Re: Re: KDevelop and upstream frustration

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Nov 29 11:16:52 UTC 2012

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:53:13 AM Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2012 10:55:20 Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > And can't we use this ambiguity in our favor?
> > >
> > > I don't think I should push for any of that in any case... What I wanted
> > > do with this thread is to find solutions, not explanations about the
> > > rules
> > > that drove us in such a crazy place...
> >
> > No.  It was very clearly discussed to be what we now call KDE SC (KDE
> > support is specifically excluded, for example).  As long as someone is
> > willing to commit to make the packages and there's an upstream commitment
> > to limit point release changes to bug fixes and not new features, it
> > should
> > be easy to get KDevelop added.
> >
> > I'm willing to go to the tech board and ask for an exception for KDevelop
> > as long as someone is willing to do the packages (I don't use it
> > regularly, so I really couldn't test it, so I'm not the right person for
> > that.)
>
> We have done minor releases of BlueDevil, and it is not in KDE SC... :/

As a member of the stable release updates team (the Ubuntu group that approves
post-release updates) I do have discretion to do this on a case by case basis,
which we have done for BlueDevil.  Not all of KDE support sticks to a bug fix
only in point release policy, so we  haven't thought a general exception was a
good idea, but your point suggests to me that instead of just KDevelop, I
ought to look at other packages as well.  Phonon is (now) sticking to such a
policy and would be another good one to include.

Scott K