KUbuntu and Muon Discover

Jonathan Thomas echidnaman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:52:47 UTC 2012

As project maintainer for the Muon Suite, the way I see things going
is keeping the existing QWidget-based Muon Software Center throughout
the life of Qt/KDE4, as it will integrate best with the current
Qt/KDE4 QWidget-based environment. I'll probably port the existing
Software Center to Qt5 when the switch occurs in major distributions,
but development will pretty much be "finished" in that no more new
features will be added. Qt5 will remain mostly source-compatible with
Qt4,so this shouldn't be more than just changing a few #includes in
the source code. Essentially, the current Software Center will go in
to maintenance mode.

When KDE Foundations 5 bears fruit and we get a comprehensive
KDE-standard way of writing QML applications (The Qt QML Desktop
Components currently targeted for release for Qt 5.1 or 5.2 seem to be
a prime candidate for this) is the time when I see Muon Discover
"taking over the reigns" as the official app installer of the Muon
Suite. I believe Aleix has even made a branch in Git that uses the
alpha version of the QML Desktop Components. My main concern is that
KDE apps will "jump the gun" with QML and start to re-implement all
their widgets and themes in QML and lose coherence with the rest of
the KDE desktop, and I don't want that to happen with Muon.

But as it stands, Muon Discover currently uses Plasma QML components
for widgets/theming and integrates beautifully with the Plasma Active
environment. I could very well see shipping Muon Discover next release
as part of Kubuntu Active.