KUbuntu and Muon Discover

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 24 23:37:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman at gmail.com> wrote:
> As project maintainer for the Muon Suite, the way I see things going
> is keeping the existing QWidget-based Muon Software Center throughout
> the life of Qt/KDE4, as it will integrate best with the current
> Qt/KDE4 QWidget-based environment. I'll probably port the existing
> Software Center to Qt5 when the switch occurs in major distributions,
> but development will pretty much be "finished" in that no more new
> features will be added. Qt5 will remain mostly source-compatible with
> Qt4,so this shouldn't be more than just changing a few #includes in
> the source code. Essentially, the current Software Center will go in
> to maintenance mode.
>
> When KDE Foundations 5 bears fruit and we get a comprehensive
> KDE-standard way of writing QML applications (The Qt QML Desktop
> Components currently targeted for release for Qt 5.1 or 5.2 seem to be
> a prime candidate for this) is the time when I see Muon Discover
> "taking over the reigns" as the official app installer of the Muon
> Suite. I believe Aleix has even made a branch in Git that uses the
> alpha version of the QML Desktop Components. My main concern is that
> KDE apps will "jump the gun" with QML and start to re-implement all
> their widgets and themes in QML and lose coherence with the rest of
> the KDE desktop, and I don't want that to happen with Muon.

Yes, there's such a branch using desktop components (again video, in
case anyone is interested [1]). I must say the port from Plasma
Components to Desktop Components so it's not really a big deal.

I must say that all KDE applications won't implement their styling and
there's a very simple reason for that, we'd need a huge amount of
artwork we don't have access to :).

Anyhow, I'll make my best to have Muon Discover as much integrated
with KDE as possible.

> But as it stands, Muon Discover currently uses Plasma QML components
> for widgets/theming and integrates beautifully with the Plasma Active
> environment. I could very well see shipping Muon Discover next release
> as part of Kubuntu Active.

I should warn you that Muon Discover wasn't tested on any touch device
and things might not work. My interest regarding Muon Discover is for
workspace-like uses so I'm not sure I'll try that any time soon. Of
course, patches are welcome and I'll be glad to help.