KUbuntu and Muon Discover

James james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:36:49 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 04:19:19 PM Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi!
> As some of you will know already, I've been working on a new Muon
> sub-project called Muon Discover. The idea of this application is to
> provide a comfortable application where we can navigate through all
> repositories browse the available applications and provide the
> (hopefully) best tool to find the closest to what the user's looking
> for.
>
> Here there's a video displaying what it does, in case you're just curious:
> http://proli.net/meu/netrunner/muon-installer-qml-8.ogv
>
> We have created a ppa providing this (and some other stuff):
> https://launchpad.net/~cyberspace/+archive/cyber-stuff
>
> I'm sending this e-mail because I'd like to know what the KUbuntu
> community thinks about this, so if you happen to have comments about
> this, don't hesitate to answer here or contact me.
>
> Also I'd like to remind the kubuntu community that the
> screenshots.debian.org service is responsible for feeding us the
> screenshots that will be displayed to the future KDE applications
> users, so some initiative for making sure KDE applications are
> properly represented there would be helpful, because at the moment
> it's not on the best state (proofs [1]). I have created some tools for
> this if somebody is interested.
>
> Cheers!
> Aleix
>
> [1]
> http://screenshots.debian.net/package/kmail
> http://screenshots.debian.net/package/kontact
> http://screenshots.debian.net/package/kdevelop
> http://screenshots.debian.net/package/okular

This looks like a great start and also a much-needed tool for deepening the
end-user's experience. We are all maily used to the "app store" philosophy
now, and this is especially true for new Linux users who are used to an Apple
or Android-type experience. Also,  I really like the sort options!

One question for discussion however: How can all this be presented properly to
the end user so that it is not confusing? There is already potential confusion
withon Muon itself: new users do not understand the difference between the Muon
Package Manager and Muon Software Center, let alone throw in Muon Update
Manager. See here for expample

Do you see this as a replacement for the Muon Software Center? Keep up the
good work :)

- James Cain