Pulseaudio on Maverick 10.10

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 11:28:23 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 01:24 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Friday, October 15, 2010 12:39:57 am Pan Shi Zhu wrote:
> > I cannot see any reason add pulseaudio into kubuntu. It does not add
> > any single feature, it introduces problems.
>
> I beg to differ.  As a user of both internal laptop speakers and a USB headset
> (which is, by the way, a second audio device or "sound card"), I find it
> extremely useful to be able to move the sound in an app between devices or
> even to two devices at once, the latter being useful when a friend wants to
> watch a movie with me and we're using 1/8" headphones for one of us and USB
> for the other.
>
> --
> Mackenzie Morgan
> http://mackenzie.morgan.name
> http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com

I think is a big part of the issue is that we only include part of the
pulseaudio tool in the default install which makes pulseaudio a little
sucky in places on both Kubuntu and Ubuntu.  However if you include
everything there are so many options that people can rapidly become
confused catch 22.

Pulseaudio brings a lot of really useful features like remembering per
application volumes, switching audio devices, networked audio etc
however you do need some of the extra tools in the repos to make full
use of it.

I'm sure over time that both KDE and Gnome will integrate these pulse
tools into their respective audio tools and a lot of the current issues
will no longer exist.

Having used it for a while I have seen it mature from something that was
flakey as hell due to the bugs it showed up in alsa through to something
that makes my life a pleasure.

I add the pavucontrol package to get the stuff I need out of pulseaudio
I use skype as it has a pulse backend now and I use mumble and a whole
heap of other audio stuff with no issues at all.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk