Pulseaudio on Maverick 10.10

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:05:53 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Craig Brashear <rcbpage621 at netscape.com> wrote:
> I had a not so pleasant experience with pulseaudio in the new distro.
> #1 There is a blacklist in the /lib directory that blacklists out my driver
> module (hda intel) NoALSA.conf.

The linux-sound-base package ships both sets of blacklist files (for
OSS and ALSA) but, by default, only symlinks the OSS one.  Why was the
ALSA one symlinked in /etc/modprobe.d/ in your install?  Did you
modify the debconf template or dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base?
Either there was manual reconfiguration or a script or automated
program did something, because in a default (clean) install and in an
upgrade from Lucid, noOSS.modprobe.conf will be the (correctly)
symlinked one.

> #2 You cannot simply remove pulseaudio, doing so breaks kmix because there
> is a dependency issue.

Why do you want to remove pulseaudio?  Note: "It doesn't work"
*doesn't help fix the bugs*.

> #3 I got mine to work sort of! by commenting out my card from the blacklist,
> and running alsamixer as root to set it up.

Again, that symlinked module-init-tools file should not be used in a
default install.  If one chooses OSS, then one needs to be prepared to
handle those ramifications manually.  And if one didn't purposefully
choose OSS, then someone needs to take a hammer to your install.

> #4 You can also get it working by installing most of the pulseadio packages
> (which installs most of the audio stuff from GNOME)
>       and the ALSA source package, which will let you use alsaconf to set
> your default sound card,

Why would you use alsa-source instead of filing a bug against
alsa-driver?  We need to properly ship the correct drivers.  I
wouldn't say that we need to stop shipping the alsa-source package,
but it's in universe for a reason.  Further, there should not be a
reason to *ever* run alsaconf.  In fact, we're going to stop shipping
it *at all* in Ubuntu (even within alsa-source); the freezes it can
cause - and its lack of general utility - are well-documented.

> IMHO the switch to pulseaudio in KDE (KUbuntu) is not quite "ready for prime
> time" yet. Most users will get irritated to say the least if their sound
> card is not working properly.

Thanks for bring these issues to light.  The proper solution is always
to fix the appropriate parts of the sound stack, not to remove
pulseaudio.

Best,
-Dan