revisiting submitting bugs to kde.org

Jonathan Thomas echidnaman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:04:03 GMT 2010

On Mon 01 Feb 2010 09:51:06 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Recently my buddy Richard posted a question about the policy
to submit bugs
> directly to bugs.kde.org and I would like to reopen this
discussion as not
> the best policy to continue to have.
>
> First off let me lay the groundwork that I understand that
running either
> RC or Beta versions of KDE can lead to bugs
>
> So now that is out of the way let me lay some examples as to
why this is
> not the best idea:
>
> 1.  Crashes in krunner:  I get a lot of crashes w/ krunner
and recently
> reported the bug to b.k.o and almost got an immediate
response saying it
> was a known issue and I needed to upgrade my version of QT to
4.6.1.  My
> first question is:  How do I do that to not have this bug?
Second
> question is "Why did I bother the KDE guys with a known bug?"
Perhaps not
> having the latest version of QT is a Kubuntu bug instead and
should have
> gone to launchpad for correct triaging?

I don't quite understand your first question... I think you
worded it improperly...

Anyways, this case is a bit unique in that we cannot upgrade to
Qt 4.6.1 until the Phonon mess is sorted out.

> 2.  Duplicate bugs:  I get a lot of crashes for plasama-
desktop (on my
> laptop) and plasma-desktop (for my netbook) but all of the
bugs I report to
> b.k.o are marked as duplicates. Don't know exactly if this is
a problem
> with my searching using Dr. Konqi and the bug reporting tool
or these bugs
> should also be on LP?

Duplicate bugs (especially of widespread crashes) are to be
expected with the territory, and reporting bugs to Launchpad
wouldn't really fix this. It would just make the dupes go
somewhere else.

> 3.  Not having a valid bug report:  I think this might be a
bigger reason
> then #2.  When a bug report is not deemed as a good/valid bug
report there
> is nothing else really to do.  Do I have the debug packages
installed?  Do
> i even know what the debug package is to install?  For some
reason I've
> had very little issues w/ apport giving me this type of
information. So
> what do I do?  I stop reporting the bugs cause I don't know
how to
> generate the bug report.  I've found that if apport does not
generate a
> good enough bug, the bug triagers on LP remind me gentely via
the "Needs
> Information" status to help me provide better information.
If we continue
> to report our bugs to b.k.o instead of LP, perhaps this tool
could be
> modified to suggest the correct debug packages to install?

From my experiences, the KDE bug guys are just as helpful as
the LP guys when telling you how to get a good backtrace. They
point people to a nice page[1] with instructions, or just tell
you which debug packages to install.

There's also plenty of information on the Kubuntu wiki[2][3]

> Anyways just some frustrations/thoughts after spending a lot
of time

> Thanks for listening to my thoughts

[1]
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reports