Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 23 09:18:42 BST 2009

Am Freitag, 23. Oktober 2009 03:01:30 schrieb Ralph Janke:
> On October 22, 2009 02:37:16 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> > Where would the clouds come from?
>
> Well the clouds will come... that is only a matter of time. It is also only
> needed in time.

That is the main problem I am seeing here.
Clouds are not gifts from a cloud factory. Someone needs to setup, maintain
and most imprtantly finance all the fun.

> I am talking about all kinds of regressions. We have far too many things
>  that work and then they don't work. If we want to be serious about the
>  goal that kubuntu can be used by anybody and can find its way to small
>  businesses and non-profits which are a huge and absolute possible market,
>  we need to stop those regressions. This is IMHO the biggest show stoppers.
>  All the bells and whistles will not make up for consistent quality.

I agree. But. We don't even know that we want to target small businesses at
all.
From a cost efficiency POV it probably also does not make sense to prevent all
kinds of regressions at all costs. Some issues are way too small, or easy to
fix...

> Well, that's why I think we need a foundation, so that others can easily
> participate in it. And this foundation is not even unique. This foundation
>  can help in the same way the other ubuntu flavours are well as other
>  distros and floss projects. Therefore, a lot of work can be scaled. It
>  just needs the rock to start rolling.

Time constraints prevent the rock from starting to roll currently :)
I also must remind that there is only so much shared behaviour across Linux.
Of course most distros got networking, but how exactly it is implemented and
how it works can at times be very different. So if we want to head for cross-
distro or cross-project foundations, then we probably are best suited to
enable automated QA for Qt and thus KDE.

--
Harald Sitter
Kubuntu Core Developer