Project Timelord -- Initial consideration

Ralph Janke txwikinger at kubuntu.org
Fri Oct 23 02:01:30 BST 2009

On October 22, 2009 02:37:16 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> Where would the clouds come from?

Well the clouds will come... that is only a matter of time. It is also only
needed in time.

> I assume you mean UI regressions? We were talking about this in some recent
> voip conference and concluded that this is currently not possible due to
> technical limitations. GNOME actually got automated QA based on GUI test-
> cases, but Qt currently leaks the necessary implementations so that we
>  could hook into it to autmate QA.... actually there are some commercial
>  solutions, no clue how they work or how good, thing is there is no free
>  software solution to this problem either way.

I am talking about all kinds of regressions. We have far too many things that
work and then they don't work. If we want to be serious about the goal that
kubuntu can be used by anybody and can find its way to small businesses and
non-profits which are a huge and absolute possible market, we need to stop
those regressions. This is IMHO the biggest show stoppers. All the bells and
whistles will not make up for consistent quality.

> Creating test cases to prevent each bug from re-appearing probably exceeds
>  the time constraints of $workforce :) Though selective creation would make
>  sense, but above prevents anything from happening in this direction. Also
>  I don't think it is going to make bug triage a lot more attracting to add
>  test-case- creation to the list of stuff that is to be done.

Well, that's why I think we need a foundation, so that others can easily
participate in it. And this foundation is not even unique. This foundation can
help in the same way the other ubuntu flavours are well as other distros and
floss projects. Therefore, a lot of work can be scaled. It just needs the rock
to start rolling.

Anyway, just an idea,

Ralph (txwikinger)