Q: Why does Kubuntu exist?

Richard JOHNSON nixternal at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 11 17:59:28 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:34:14PM -0500, Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
[...]
> KDE gives us 1-7.  KDE-only improves on 2,3,5,6, and especially 7[1].
> Debian GNU/Linux gives us 8-11 and 1.  Ubuntu gives us 5 and 12 while
> keeping 1.  All together, we have Kubuntu, and no other project has
> quite the same potential with minimal compromises on each point.

What he said :)  I just have one problem, nothing major, but shouldn't be a
part of the vision, nor a statement of any kind, without of course some
solid evidence to prove it true. That is:

"...and no other project has quite the same potential with minimal
compromises on each point."

Don't get me wrong, I love Kubuntu to death, however we can leverage
ourself on something that strong. openSUSE has exactly the same potential,
if not a bit more with the backing of Novell. Novell is obviously a
stronger player in the market since they have been established for quite
some time. I know we have Ubuntu on Dell, but they have SLED and openSUSE
on Samsung, HP, and there was one more that I can't remember. As a matter
of fact, I can drive to my local Frys right now, or even walk as it is just
a few miles, and purchase a laptop or netbook with some sort of SUSE on it
and walk out with it. Unfortunately at this time I can't say the same about
Kubuntu let alone Ubuntu.

With that, we need to figure out how we, Kubuntu, make Yuriy's awesome
points stronger than the others. What do we do differently that makes us
better? Now before the trolls ring in with their, Kubuntu's packaging sucks
terms a vision is our true north. So, to add upon the first question about
what makes us better, we also need to answer what will make us better and
how will Kubuntu achieve this.

So with that, a huge thanks to everyone who participated in Harald's
maddness that we have all come to know and love, and thanks Yuriy for the
amazing list that we can utilize in order to build our vision!

p.s. hope I didn't miss anything, as I am a little busy right now, so I am
going to press ':wq' then 'y' and send this puppy as it is :)

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738