[ubuntu-web] Start page - lets go

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) khaoticmind at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:23:25 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 17:03, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Matthew Nuzum
> <matthew.nuzum at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:
>>> all the projects need a start page. That's why I think we really
>>> should co-operate on this one between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
>>> Practically this could mean one man doing the start page for all the
>>> projects - though hopefully not.
>>>
>>> I am interested in this, and I will be doing the start page most
>>> probably for Xubuntu and Kubuntu so... If somebody is interested in
>>> giving me and hand with these, that would be awesome. I follow this
>>> mailing list closely, so just reply or ping me (knome) at freenode.
>>>
>>> I'm CCing this message to kubuntu-devel and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.
>>
>> Hi, I'm fine with that and happy to help facilitate it. I'm not sure
>> how to tackle this from a technological perspective since the start
>> page is defined by the ubufox plugin for firefox. If you need
>> technical details on how this works the person to talk to is asac, irl
>> Alexander Sack and often found in #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode.
>
> I've discussed this with Alexander a few times: the most likely
> approach we've discussed is for derivatives to ship their own version
> of ubufox, such as xubufox and kubufox. Then again, Kubuntu doesn't
> use firefox, but konqueror, so different considerations are likely to
> apply.

You mean that Firefox insn't installed by default in kubuntu, and not
that it isn't used right? ;)
I use Kubuntu with Firefox, Konqueror, nowadays, simply doesn't work
with many sites that i use.

IMHO create a kubufox package is an interesting approach, specially if
plugins suggestions is controlled by this, this way it would be
possible to offer KDE native options.

m 2cts

KM