Licenses in kdelibs...

Terence Simpson stdin at stdin.me.uk
Thu Oct 2 10:13:15 BST 2008

Peter Antoniac wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 17:32:58 Harald Sitter wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 14:15:16 Peter Antoniac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that Frederik said (on kde-core-dev ML) that kdelibs license
>>> policy is to be LGPL. Still, looking at most of the debian packages
>>> containing kdelibs copyright notes I read:
>>>
>>> "Unless something else is mentioned, the code files in this package are
>>> under GPL"
>>>

>> I would suggest reading the complete document. There is a list with
>> copyright holders and licenses underneath the short licenses, which for
>> kde4libs is almost exclusively LGPLv2
>>

> Hmm, yes. But don't you find a contradiction between the statement of the kde-
> core-dev about kdelibs to be LGPL and the statement in the kdelibs-packages to
> be GPL? Shouldn't it be stated there that unless something else, here we have
> LGPL  as this is the license policy for kdelibs?
>
> I am not good at licenses... I just happen to get bogged into this, that I see
> as a contradictory statement...
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

The package doesn't say kdelibs in GPL, it just says some parts are and
the parts that aren't are listed.
Changing it to be "Unless something else is mentioned, the code files in
this package are under LGPL" is a bit pointless IMO because the license
of the parts are already stated. Maybe it's something we could think
about doing next time we package a new kdelibs version, but I wouldn't
put much priority on it.

Terence Simpson