Licenses in kdelibs...

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 2 13:08:51 BST 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 11:13:15 Terence Simpson wrote:
> Peter Antoniac wrote:

> >> I would suggest reading the complete document. There is a list with
> >> copyright holders and licenses underneath the short licenses, which for
> >> kde4libs is almost exclusively LGPLv2
> >
> > Hmm, yes. But don't you find a contradiction between the statement of the
> > kde- core-dev about kdelibs to be LGPL and the statement in the
> > kdelibs-packages to be GPL? Shouldn't it be stated there that unless
> > something else, here we have LGPL  as this is the license policy for
> > kdelibs?
> >
> > I am not good at licenses... I just happen to get bogged into this, that
> > I see as a contradictory statement...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Peter
>
> The package doesn't say kdelibs in GPL, it just says some parts are and
> the parts that aren't are listed.
> Changing it to be "Unless something else is mentioned, the code files in
> this package are under LGPL" is a bit pointless IMO because the license
> of the parts are already stated. Maybe it's something we could think
> about doing next time we package a new kdelibs version, but I wouldn't
> put much priority on it.

Yes, pointless. Peter, if you want this changed, then please contact the
Debian KDE team. Kubuntu and Debian try to keep a rather identical packaging,
changing the copyright file would mean unnecessary difference which needs to be
maintained. So the ultimate target should be to get the statement fixed in
Debian and then just merge the packaging.

Regards,
Harald