KDE PIM For KDE4 - When is it going to be usable/stable ...

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Thu Feb 28 07:51:16 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Scott Kitterman wrote:
| As I understand it, the KDE PIM plan is something like:
|
| KDE 4.0 - Use kdepim from KDE3
| KDE 4.1 - kdepim ported to QT 4
| KDE 4.2 - Integrate kdepim with new data back end
|
| Personally, I'm not anxious to commit my mail store (my most professionally
| important knowledge base) on an initial release with an entire new data
| store.  Is that unreasonable?

No it's not unreasonable, as I would feel the same way. However I thought I was
told recently that KDE 4.1 will include a stable, just as stable as KDE 3.5.9,
KDE PIM, it will not include the Akonadi framework at that time, that was
planned for 4.2 I believe. I think if anyone on this list can better respond to
this, it would be Tom Albers if he is still around this list :)

| From my reading of things we are probably ~18 months (KDE 4.3) from a
| kdepim that's as reliable as what I'm using now with KDE 3.5.  Is that
| wrong?

I believe I was told we would have a stable release with 4.1, just not the full
featured release that was envisioned utilizing Akonadi.

| From a developer's perspective I can see this makes a lot of sense, I'm
| just not sure when it's going to be ready for serious production use.

We should have something with Intrepid for a stable KDE 4 PIM release, at least
I hope we do.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org