Feeling like a 2nd class citizen

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Tue Nov 27 20:14:58 GMT 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 3:06 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>
> > I am getting frustrated with using Konqueror as my default browser.  I
> > don't know if I just have some problems, or its the fact that I am running
> > 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web is
> > just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.
> >
> > I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
> > have lived to accept it,
>
> But you _don't_ have to accept it.  Just click on the odd icon that, to my
> eyes at least, looks like a toad facing away from you (it's also in the
> Tools menu, "Change Browser Identification") and tell it to identify as the
> latest version of either Firefox or IE.  For google and gmail, either
> works.
>
> > but it is other sites that I am getting sick of
> > trying to deal with.
>
> > Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install?  Or
> > should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
> > there.
>
> That's life.  The price you pay to use Konqueror is that it is
> standards-compliant.  I'm not sure I agree with not breaking the agreed
> standards to conform to the de-facto standard, but that's the choice the
> developers have made.  I have never come across a site that doesn't work in
> konqueror that still passes the W3C checks (though I expect there are
> _some_).
>
> If that's a huge problem for you - and it seems like it is - use Firefox.
> It's a better browser than IE, and will work on virtually all the same
> sites.

I'd like to note that the above is just barely true. Firefox has a
slightly better UI than IE 7, but is much slower. If it were FOSS, I might
even use IE 7 instead of FF now and then...

The horrible interface FF has is for me reason to use Konqi. I just
miss too much functionality in FF, and I'm not going to fix that by
installing all kinds of weird and unstable extensions. If I would be
happy fixing my software by installing *other* software, I would still
be using Windows 98 (with a million little tools to make it bearable).