kpowersave and backup applications

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Jan 22 20:37:28 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 21:29, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Has anyone had experiences with kpowersave?  It seems better
> maintained than the klaptopdaemon we use at the moment but I'm looking
> for experiences of whether it's more reliable or not.

klaptopdaemon is quite horrible code-wise, so it's good to consider removing
it.

I've installed kpowersave today, and it seems quite nice. I'm using suspend2
[S2], however, together with the hibernate script, and I needed a quite
hackish solution to be able to hibernate from kpowersaved. That bit is easier
with klaptopdaemon.

Also, it seems to have been written for SuSE, one of the warning dialogues I
ran across mentions /etc/sysconfig/... which we of course don't have.

Other than that, kpowersaved looks great, and I'd like to see it in Kubuntu
Dapper. I think with some minor changes, it would be a nice replacement for
klaptopdaemon, which is pretty much unmaintained.

[S2] http://www.suspend2.net
--
sebas

When you're discussing code, often the best answer to criticism is a patch -
not a dissertation. - Rik van Riel