[kubuntu-devel] Kubuntu on Rosetta

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 18 11:33:50 BST 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:52:04AM +0300, Donatas G. wrote:
> I see some KDE Lithuanian translation files for dapper were imported on
> 2006-04-04/5. https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/lt
>
> Some files were not imported correctly; e.g., konqueror.po is shown as
> not translated at all, while it is fully translated; see:
> http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/stable/lt/kdebase/index.php

There's a problem with the way the Kubuntu packages generate konqueror.pot (it
needs to be utf8 but claims to be ascii), so I need to fix that, it'll
be broken for all translations in rosetta.

> The same is true for kfontinst.po (not for joystick.po). I also don't
> see a lot of files there that I assume should be there, like
> kaffeine.po, amarok.po that install with the kubuntu install cd.

kfontinst.po has a different problem with being generated that I also
need to look into.  amarok has some similar problems and kaffeine just
hasn't been imported yet.  Carlos of Rosetta will finish importing KDE
programmes into Rosetta this week and will give me a long list of
things that need fixing.

> So, could someone clarify how those translations are to be handled? Here
> are a bunch of questions:
>
> 1. Will all of KDE available on Ubuntu repositories be landed in
> Rosetta, or just the main/install cd part?

Just those in main.

> 2. Will programs like kaffeine and amarok, that are released on their
> own schedule and whose translations are handled in KDE repositories, be
> made available on Rosetta?

Yes, as long as they are in the Ubuntu archives.  There may be times
when that doesn't happen such as during feature freeze near Kubuntu
releases when we don't want to upload new versions.

> 3. Will the translation files of KDE programs like Krusader and
> KMyMoney, that are not in KDE source tree, be made available in Rosetta?

These two won't be since they are not in Rosetta, but if the authors
want to use Rosetta they can register it as a product on launchpad and
upload their .pot files.

> 4. Should I, upon improving some translation upstream, take care of
> importing it to Rosetta, or will it be done automatically before the
> release?

That'll be done automatically as long as the Lithuanian translations
are released with the programme.  Rosetta imports the kde-i18n-lt
package which is released by KDE and Amarok etc will include the
Lithuanian .po files so when that version of Amarok gets uploaded to
the Ubuntu repository it'll go into Rosetta.

> 5. What about Rosetta to upstream contributions? Should those be
> performed manually?

Yes, if a KDE translation team wants to use Rosetta for translating
programmes they need to export the .po files and upload to KDE's SVN
(or equivalent for other projects) manually.

Please do get back to me with any other questions.

Jonathan