Fwd: Re: [kubuntu-users] UPDATE: Announcement from www.kubuntu.de

Vlad C. vladc6 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 03:32:05 BST 2006

--- jos poortvliet <jos at mijnkamer.nl> wrote:
> and things like that give someone a feeling of being
> neglected. so he/she
> starts thinking Kubuntu gets less than it deserves.

Here are some observations that make me think KDE is
being treated like a second-class desktop by
Canonical:

  * The vast majority of desktop developers employed
by Canonical are Gnomers (though their job description
may not reflect this fact). Just look at how many more
Gnome-related updates appear in Dapper's commit logs:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/

  * Edubuntu, whose education-specific programs come
almost exclusively from the KDE Education Suite
(http://edu.kde.org), runs on Gnome instead of KDE.
Canonical has never sponsored a KDE Education Suite
developer as far as I know.

  * The name of the version featuring Gnome is called
Ubuntu, while the version featuring KDE has a K added
to the front. This makes it sound like Gnome is the
default, standard, and KDE is some sort of offshoot.
It would be more equitable to call the Gnome version
Gubuntu, and leave Ubuntu to refer only to the base distro.