PyKDE, PyQt and SIP up-to-date (and in Hoary)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Oct 12 06:56:38 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 07:21, Stephan Hermann wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 12.10.2005, 02:26 +0200 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/python/python2.4-kde3
>
> Well, yes this is a patched version of an older snapshot-release of
> python-kde3, but with a working KConfigSkeleton.

Are there plans to produce packages of later PyQt releases and PyKDE snapshots
in the near future? I don't follow PyKDE development that closely, but from
the package changelog it appears that you used a snapshot from March as the
basis of the package. Unfortunately, some of the software I use requires
fixes that are not in that snapshot (or even the last one).

> > I also see that since PyKDE didn't get packaged for Hoary, we aren't
> > going to see any official release of it at any time in the future:
> >
> > http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-September/010738.html
>
> Depends, please ask the ubuntu-backports team, to backport it
> officially. Easiest way: subscribe to ubuntu-backports ml, and ask for
> it or ping jdong on freenode.

I've subscribed to that mailing list and may pursue the issue there. I imagine
that backports of Breezy packages should not diverge from the original
packages in terms of the sources being packaged, or is it acceptable for such
backports to live their own independent lives after being backported and to
track the source releases more closely?

> > So, what's the best way to get up-to-date packages for PyKDE, PyQt and
> > SIP available for Kubuntu? And what's the best channel to get these
> > packages out there for Hoary? I'm willing to put in some effort to make
> > something happen.
>
> For dapper we have to prepare some better support for
> python-qt3/python-kde3 cause now with being in main, there is more work
> to be done for those packages.

It's good to see PyKDE getting some focus for future Ubuntu releases. However,
I'm just trying to find a solution for existing releases so that people can
use PyKDE-based software more easily. The "more easily" aspect would be best
achieved through updates via official or semi-official channels, of course.

Paul