[kubuntu-devel] Guidance on Kubuntu

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Tue Jul 12 07:13:47 CDT 2005

Hi!

[ Sorry for the enormous delay, I saw these e-mails rather late. ]

I'll just walk through the interesting bits, so you get a better idea of
the status of guidance.

> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 01:35:05PM +1000, Luke Monahan wrote:
> > > While at home with an ear infection :( I thought I would have a
> > > look at the guidance configuration modules available at
> > > http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/ to stave off some
> > > boredom. These are a set of configuration modules for kde
> > > (integrated into kcontrol), written in python.  Currently the
> > > following modules are written, with possibly more to come:
> > >
> > > - serviceconfig (runlevel editor)
> > > - userconfig (user and group configuration)
> > > - mountconfig (/etc/fstab editor)
> > > - displayconfig (x-server configuration editor)
> >
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 04:00, you (== JRiddel) wrote:
> > Great, guideance is definatly something we want in Breezy.

Cool! I'll do my best to get guidance into shape.

> > > Because these modules were written for Mandrake originially they
> > > need a certain amount of "Kubuntuizing".
> > >
> > > So far I have all modules except displayconfig actually compiling
> > > and running (thanks to sh for the python2.4-kde package).  I
> > > haven't done extensive testing, but userconfig seems to work
> > > completely and correctly. The mountconfig module is also pretty
> > > close to working, with only a few little errors, which I'll
> > > attack soon.
> >
> > Are you sending your patches upstream?

Yes, I think I received everything necessary and I'm merging the
interesting bits.

> > Would you be able to make packages of Guidance (and libpythonise)
> > or send me your patches so I can make them?

libpythonize is part of pykdeextensions
(http://simonzone.com/software/pykdeextensions/) now. Basically,
everything frameworky is in there (installation stuff, libpythonize for
kcontrol glue, uicompiler, you name it). So if someone would like to
package it, that'd be cool (although I think once guidance is package,
pykdeextensions is not necessary). As to the status of pykdeextensions,
I'm not a 100% sure if it's release quality yet. It seems to need some
more work.

> > > I'm now onto the runlevel editor, to see if I can get that to
> > > work completely.
> > >
> > > My current problems are:
> > >
> > > 1. Where do I get a description of an init.d script?  In Mandrake
> > > there seems to be a convention of having a comment block
> > > beginning with "# description:" in the init.d script, but no such
> > > conventions are followed in Kubuntu.  Any ideas?

See below.

> > > 2. Where do I get the status of an init.d script?  In Mandrake
> > > the technique is to use:
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/scriptname status
> > > and read the standard output.  Unfortunately none of the scripts
> > > in init.d seem to support the "status" command line option.  Any
> > > ideas on how to retrieve the current status of an init.d script
> > > in Kubuntu?
> >
> > I think you will need to ask on ubuntu-devel for that, I can't see
> > any easy way to do either unfortunatly.

This still has to be solved, but it seems non-trivial. As far as .pid
files are created, I think I've covered them. But a lot of the stuff
doesn't use .pid files, so I'm kinda lost. Suggestions are, of course,
welcome. About 1/3 of the services's statuses are currently detected on
my system, to give you an idea.

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 10:39, Luke Monahan wrote:
> The displayconfig is not working yet, but I think there is a plan for
> getting this properly cross-distribution.

displayconfig is where most of the work is being done at the moment. The
other 3 tools are pretty stable, feature complete and seem to work
quite good.

We're currently reworking some parts of displayconfig to have it support
dual monitor setups. This is still quite tricky, but we're slowly
progressing. Our target is to make it possible to let a user set up a
dual screen desktop from displayconfig. That includes creating a new
xorg.conf file, detection of a couple of thing like hardware topology,
drivers, and such.

> Serviceconfig is working except for service statuses are not being
> detected (I'm working on this myself, but it seems to be a problem
> that noone has yet solved well on Debian based systems).
> Descriptions for services are being retrieved from apt-cache
> description of package that owns the service.

I've merged Luke's fetching of service descriptions and made it async,
so service descriptions are now loaded in the background. The first
couple of seconds of using serviceconfig, this is noticeable, but as to
the content of the descriptions, it seems to be a good solution.
We might think about caching the descriptions. KConfig comes to my mind
there (it's not a 100% statical information since we don't know what
kind of stuff the user will have in init.d/).

Cheers,
--
sebas

    http://vizZzion.org     |     GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
So many beautiful women and so little time. - John Barrymore

--
sebas

 http://www.kde.nl | http://vizZzion.org |  GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies
the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry
penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more
careful about what they say if they had. - Linus Torvalds