[kubuntu-devel] Guidance on Kubuntu

Luke Monahan lukemonahan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 07:50:36 CDT 2005

Hi There,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:13 pm, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > I think you will need to ask on ubuntu-devel for that, I can't see
> > > any easy way to do either unfortunatly.
>
> This still has to be solved, but it seems non-trivial. As far as .pid
> files are created, I think I've covered them. But a lot of the stuff
> doesn't use .pid files, so I'm kinda lost. Suggestions are, of course,
> welcome. About 1/3 of the services's statuses are currently detected on
> my system, to give you an idea.

The solution being proposed around the ubuntu wiki is to have a map of all
services to human descriptions and daemon process names that can be used to
detect the script status.  Obviously a bit of a hack, hard to maintain for
_every_ service in the universe repo and some of the scripts don't easily map
to a single daemon.  BUM (the Gnome service manager) is doing it this way.

For reference:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptHumanDescriptions

The only alternative I see is to start imposing a "status" flag on every
package that gets into the repository that has an sysV init script.  Others
can probably tell me how impossible that will be to do :)  If that does
happen then the opportunity should be taken to put the human descriptions
into the script also, as getting them from dpkg-cache is pretty slow.

Cheers,

ltmon