Fedora 16 and 17 kicks 12.04 LTS. I give you fix (patch attached)

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Fri Mar 9 15:51:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 02:49 +0100, John Smith wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Developers,
>
> This will take 10 minutes out of your life. I hope you have them:)) .
> We will be extremely grateful. We love Ubuntu. We hope Ubuntu
> developers are nice. I have never ever asked any Ubuntu dev. for any
> 'favour' since my adventure with Ubuntu started 5 years ago.
>
> It looks like nobody has cared for 1.5 years (will be at the release
> time of 12.04). Over a year ago Ralink open sourced their drivers
> (links below), Fedora applied them in ver. 16 and 17. I've searched
> the issue on the net. Many (believe me) people are outraged and any
> solution is really bad. I tried to install manually, but failed due to
> failed initramfs update (perhaps it doesn't update on an USB flash
> drive...). Everyone hoped Ubuntu to pick it up- its on 11.10 bug
> report under 810111)
>
> The solution to apply the patches from OpenSuse  (more likely they are
> NOT needed at all for the newer driver version below) and installing
> the drivers manually every time there's a kernel update is not nice.
> Talk about long FIVE YEARS. Dreadful. Hope you are a nice person and
> will help me (or more precise: us).
>
> Please update patches for Ralink RT5390 to the (X)Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
> Its critical not just for me (...). I hope you are nice person and
> will fix the bug as soon as possible and get back to me when its
> available in Xubuntu nightly build. Its getting close to LTS release
> and I have nobody to rely upon. I hope you folks in Ubuntu are nice.
> Otherwise I will be stuck with sloooooow yum (despite the
> fastestmirror-plugin), and other shit (infinality patches, AMD ppas,
> etc).
>

> This driver is required for many, many, many HP laptops.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> (X)Ubuntu Lover,
> John
>
> Open Source RT539x:
> http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5001
>
> All Ralink Linux drivers:
> http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501
>

> PS.
> I hope this time the AMD Northern Islands drivers will be ready and
> jockey in 12.04 will install them. No compiz tearing and no video
> tearing (sync to vblank).

Hi John,

Thank you for your email.  I also see you have opened a bug in Launchpad
as well regarding this issue [1].  I'd like to follow up with you in the
bug report so that all further information is collected in one central
location.  Please see the comment which I've posted to the bug and we
can go from there.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/944354