Fedora 16 and 17 kicks 12.04 LTS. I give you fix (patch attached)

John Smith civilknowsbest at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 01:43:32 UTC 2012

Dear Ubuntu Developers,

This will take 10 minutes out of your life. I hope you have them:)) .
We will be extremely grateful. We love Ubuntu. We hope Ubuntu
developers are nice. I have never ever asked any Ubuntu dev. for any
'favour' since my adventure with Ubuntu started 5 years ago.

It looks like nobody has cared for 1.5 years (will be at the release
time of 12.04). Over a year ago Ralink open sourced their drivers
(links below), Fedora applied them in ver. 16 and 17. I've searched
the issue on the net. Many (believe me) people are outraged and any
solution is really bad. I tried to install manually, but failed due to
failed initramfs update (perhaps it doesn't update on an USB flash
drive...). Everyone hoped Ubuntu to pick it up- its on 11.10 bug
report under 810111)

The solution to apply the patches from OpenSuse  (more likely they are
NOT needed at all for the newer driver version below) and installing
the drivers manually every time there's a kernel update is not nice.
Talk about long FIVE YEARS. Dreadful. Hope you are a nice person and
will help me (or more precise: us).

Please update patches for Ralink RT5390 to the (X)Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Its critical not just for me (...). I hope you are nice person and
will fix the bug as soon as possible and get back to me when its
available in Xubuntu nightly build. Its getting close to LTS release
and I have nobody to rely upon. I hope you folks in Ubuntu are nice.
Otherwise I will be stuck with sloooooow yum (despite the
fastestmirror-plugin), and other shit (infinality patches, AMD ppas,
etc).

This driver is required for many, many, many HP laptops.

Thanks in advance,
(X)Ubuntu Lover,
John

Open Source RT539x:
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5001

All Ralink Linux drivers:
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501

PS.
I hope this time the AMD Northern Islands drivers will be ready and
jockey in 12.04 will install them. No compiz tearing and no video
tearing (sync to vblank).