Threaded interrupts and preemption

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Tue Apr 13 20:29:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Alessio Igor Bogani
<abogani at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/13 Chase Douglas <chase.douglas at canonical.com>:
>>> I think I was confusing the -rt kernel with the -preempt flavor of the
>>> ubuntu kernel tree. Unfortunately, I see that the linux-rt kernel is
>>> still 2.6.31 in Lucid. Are there any plans for updating this to .33?
>
> No for Lucid at least. I would want stick on PREEMPT_RT stable release
> (that is 2.6.31) to honor our LTS guidelines.
> In this sense 2.6.31 should be next official kernel for MRG.

Ahhh, I didn't realize there were different levels of stability in
these patches. I am interested in trying out the .33 kernel + patch
because of the gpu driver changes that are required for my own
hardware.

>> Also, where's the source for the -rt kernel? I'm having a hard time
>> finding it. The linux-meta-rt package seems to have just some of the
>> debian packaging, but no source or patches.
>
> You should do this to obtain sources:
> apt-get source linux-image-2.6.31-10-rt
>
> If you simply do:
> apt-get source linux-rt or linux-image-rt
> You only receive meta package sources.
>
> Please note that this tip are valid also for all our kernels (-generic
> included).

Yeah, I got tripped up with the meta package sources. Any chance we
can get this up on kernel.ubuntu.com/git? That's where all the other
kernel sources are, so I think it would increase the visibility of the
project and make it easier for us devs to hack on it :).

-- Chase