What's the future of Juju?

Michael Nelson michael.nelson at canonical.com
Wed Mar 25 21:39:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Merlijn Sebrechts
<merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer! I didn't know Windows and Centos support was coming
> so soon, great to know!
>
> The lacking documentation is the biggest issue to me. The charm-helpers
> documentation is outdated in a lot of places and that makes it seem as it
> isn't being actively maintained anymore. Ofcourse, this is a side-effect of
> a rapidly expanding product...
> The charm-helpers documentation also lacks some good examples and
> "guidelines". Things like "What's the best way to create templates, What's
> the easiest way to get relation data, ..". The documentation shows you how
> to do it in bash, but is really lacking for python. I had a really hard time
> trying to decipher how the services framework works exactly.

The services framework is quite new... I've not yet had the chance to
use it yet either.

> The saltstack charm-helpers integration also has few problems. I just gave
> up on it and wrote the install hooks in python.

... and yes, I'll try to get some time to reevaluate the saltstack
charm-helpers intergration and see whether it should be fixed or
removed. We (the team I work in) used it initially for some charms,
but then migrated quite soon to use the ansible support which we're
using now, but the next time we write a new charm, we'll evaluate the
services framework instead.

So the issue with the salt support may be that there are no charms
(that I'm aware of) using it and so it is not being integration-tested
regularly (though I'm keen to check).

I'd recommend exactly what you're doing - starting your charm in plain
python. As you develop the charm, you may start to understand the need
for, and use the services framework (or other charm-helper-provided
support).

Cheers,
-Michael