Regarding juju on CentOS

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Jun 6 14:21:32 UTC 2012

Hey Francisco,

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Francisco Souza <f at souza.cc> wrote:
> I've just get juju to work on CentOS using a patched [1] version of juju
> 0.5bzr531 (the same in Precise).

This is great Francisco. Happy to see that kind of work taking place.

> The main goal of this message is to define a strategy to support both CentOS
> (and/or other RPM-based systems) and Ubuntu. We could add another parameter
> to the environments.yaml file or to the `juju` command line tool, which
> would make the LaunchMachine class choose between CloudInit implementations.

I don't think it is appropriate to have that as an environment
setting, because this isn't about the environment, but about the
specific charm being deployed. It's easy to imagine a single
environment with mixed Linux distributions being deployed in different
machines to suit different needs, and communication happening among
them as a single orchestrated system.

We could set up a series in the charm repository, for example, that
has charms specific to CentOS, and juju itself will know that all the
charms from that specific series are to be deployed on a specific
version of CentOS. With that, whenever you do something like:

    juju deploy cs:~fsouza/the-centos-series/haproxy

It is actually deploying on a CentOS machine rather than an Ubuntu
one. No further configuration needed.

How does that sound?

> Are you all interested in adding support to CentOS in the Python version?
> What approach do you suggest?

Being honest, I'm not interested in working on an agreed way to merge
your patches, but only because the Python version is in maintenance
mode, and our fresh development focus is now on porting juju to Go as
I'm sure you've been following up with Andrews.

I would be happy to see bite-sized merge proposals on the
in-development Go core that move the project in a direction that can
support multiple distributions.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net