Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 11 12:50:22 BST 2008

hi,
On Do, 2008-09-11 at 13:35 +0200, kjetil knudsen wrote:

>         one thing coming up often here since 7.10 are apps hanging
>         around ...
>         please note *this is usually a faulty app* i made various
>         requests to
>         the people complaining to please file bugs about the apps not
>         exiting
>         properly if their parent session goes away (the first request
>         for that
>         was around the 7.10 development cycle over a year ago) so i
>         can point
>         the app developers to fix these bugs (whih they will
>         gratefully do). up
>         to today not a single bug for any of the apps was put into
>         launchpad
>         only many hackish workarounds came up that kill apps on
>         startup in very
>         intrusive ways ...

>  dirty? It would really helped us out a lot..." Pkill -u user" does a
> fine job killing the left-behind apps for the specified user. Why can
> not this be integrated when a user logs out? Forgive me if I sound
> ignorant..... I understand that this would not be a real fix, but
> hey... If it works...

so if you are able to use pkill, you are obviously able to identify the
apps hanging around, how about filing bugs for them then ;)

Gideon Romm made a small script for running a pkill in a slightly less
intrusive way at the ltsp hackfest two months ago, we could include it
for hardy.

the big probelm i have is that the actual problem will never be fixed
because running the pkill will not expose any hanging apps anymore at
all, i'd happily add this script to a release *after* i recieved enough
feedback from testers so even though we dont fix the problem immediately
we at least identify the apps, i refuse to do so *unless* we have them
identified for the above reasons ...
so pretty please, everyone who sees hanging apps, file bugs for them,
feel free to subscribe me to the bugs (do not assign them to me please)
so i can assign them to teh right people and poke them about fixes ...

if i see *any* movement i'll happily include the script ... but please
understand that i wont simply hide breakage and lose the opportinity to
fix them forever through simply adding a hack.

btw, i'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC me ;)

thanks for the feedback...

ciao
	oli