Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:22:12 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> the big probelm i have is that the actual problem will never be fixed
> because running the pkill will not expose any hanging apps anymore at
> all, i'd happily add this script to a release *after* i recieved enough
> feedback from testers so even though we dont fix the problem immediately
> we at least identify the apps, i refuse to do so *unless* we have them
> identified for the above reasons ...

In my latest version of fl_teachertool 0.62 I actually changed my code
to identify users who logged out but still have hanging apps. They are
selected/highlighted after refreshing users (so it's easy to kill
them). But you can view the exact processes that remain by clicking on
view. There are various ways processes remain. One is simply powering
off before logging out. Another is ctrl-alt-back. Most of
fl_teachertool should work in edubuntu. I think the only thing that
does not is the control/monitor and snapshots since there is no vnc
server running on the client. Eric Harrison built a vnc module that
plugs into X from Real VNC for k12ltsp. It's not loaded by default
though. You have to enable it in lts.conf. Another method is to use
x11vnc. I got it to work before for Jim Kronebusch.

--
Robert Arkiletian