fat client

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 11:35:52 BST 2008

Hi Gavin,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is interesting stuff.

Thanks

Now done: http://nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid

>> Fat client is indeed meant for what you mention. The minimum requirements
>> as I see them are a 600 mhz P2 with 256MB Ram. It will run on systems
>> with less, but it will be slower, anything below this is really better
>> geared towards use as a thin client. I've tested the low fat client on a
>> 500mhz geode with 128mb ram, and even that works... but it requires some
>> more testing to see what it will and will not run on. Obviously choosing
>> high fat or low fat will make a difference...
>
> Does it use NBD or a local disk swap partition?  While it might boot and
> even login in 128MB RAM, I suspect you'll run very short of ram very
> quickly with all applications running locally.  Your ram requirements
> should I guess be similar to those for a regular desktop.

It does use NBD, yes... allows for a fast loading, protected
environment.. home is mounted via nfs, and there is a rather
complicated hack that synchs users between server and fatclient,
controlled by cron. I'll be changing that to use sshfs for next
version.
As for running out of ram, yeah... for sure... its not recommended to
run less than 256mb, my test computer has 500mhz and 512 mb, and that
runs fine... which shows that ram is more important than cpu speed...