fat client

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 11:25:23 BST 2008

Hi,

this is interesting stuff.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, David Van Assche wrote:

> I suppose I can put up a Hardy version on my website.

Probably no harm.  I suspect a lot of people will want to stick with hardy
(I suspect "intrepid" suggests a lot of new stuff that might not be
entirely stable yet).

> Fat client is indeed meant for what you mention. The minimum requirements
> as I see them are a 600 mhz P2 with 256MB Ram. It will run on systems
> with less, but it will be slower, anything below this is really better
> geared towards use as a thin client. I've tested the low fat client on a
> 500mhz geode with 128mb ram, and even that works... but it requires some
> more testing to see what it will and will not run on. Obviously choosing
> high fat or low fat will make a difference...

Does it use NBD or a local disk swap partition?  While it might boot and
even login in 128MB RAM, I suspect you'll run very short of ram very
quickly with all applications running locally.  Your ram requirements
should I guess be similar to those for a regular desktop.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements