Confusion for Hardy 8.04 Desktop CD

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Apr 28 06:00:58 BST 2008

Philipp Schroeder wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> alan c schrieb:
>> I distribute, demonstrate, and install edubuntu (as a volunteer), (and
>> k/ubuntu also) CDs locally. I am currently very confused about the
>> 8.04 Edubuntu live CD.....
>>
>> see
>> http://www.edubuntu.org/Download
>> ========================
>> Try Edubuntu before installing
>>
>> The Desktop CD allows you to try Edubuntu without changing your
>> computer at all and has an option to install it permanently later at
>> your convenience. Note that the Desktop CD is known as the "Live CD"
>> in releases before 7.04 and is only a workstation solution, it does
>> not contain Edubuntu's server components.
>>
>>     1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD
>>     2. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 educational add-on CD
>> ========================
>>
>> Is the above information mistaken?
>>
>> When I follow the link at  item 1. above I am directed either to a
>> ubuntu only live cd or an add on cd which is appropriate for installation.
>>
>> Maybe the old style edubuntu live CD is no longer available (?) as a
>> 'try edubuntu before installing' possibiity, but the above extract
>> still asserts that it is. However there are confusing messages in the
>> content nearby, explaining the new and old approaches.
>>
>> My requirement is a CD which will run 8.04 as an edubuntu
>> (workstation) live CD.
>> Can anyone clarify the situation please?
>
> I just realised that the information you mention is indeed incorrect. I
> will remove that misleading paragraph from the website. Sorry for the
> confusion!
>
> I mistakenly thought it was possible to install the "Edubuntu Desktop"
> meta package from the add-on cd __into the live session__ of a booted
> Ubuntu desktop cd. That won't work, though, because the live session
> needs the Ubuntu cd in the cd-rom drive.
>
> Krsnendu Dasa's suggestion of making a bootable "live" usb memory stick
> sounds worth trying.
>
> Best,
> Philipp
>
> Edubuntu.org webmaster

Thanks Philipp
That sorts the confusion.

Unfortunately, for marketing, demonstration and hand-out activities
(note 1) it is much better to be able to hand out and demonstrate on
the spot if needed, a 'Production' released Live CD.

The original  live cds were good for this. Losing them is a loss to
edubuntu marketing.

I prefer to avoid designing live cds etc by myself - my skills are not
really in that direction and if they were, the marketing activity is
partly to show people that a 'brand' or 'product' actually exists.  A
'Production' version, or an item made by the  central 'Team' of the
product has a credibility for 'Marketing' which a locally made version
does not.

I am not suggesting the technical functions are lacking. I see a need
for more effective marketing, and the loss of distributed live CDs is
a small step backwards in that sense.

Note 1:
I display monthly on a non trading basis at a local computer fair.
Although most of the interest centres on K/Ubuntu, Edubuntu is also
discussed.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391