Hardy - AMD64 server and i386 thin clients

infiniti_guy infiniti_guy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 00:22:54 BST 2008

Paul,

I believe the amd64 Ubuntu installation installs amd64 client build
environment by default. Make sure you update your ltspfs ltsp-server and
ltsp-standalone packages (use synaptic or apt-get). Then I would run this
command:
# sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386

This will take some time, but will install your i386 environment.

FYI - Remember anytime you need to update the client environment, keys,
kernel, etc. you need to add the --arch i386 option after your command.

Yes there are some issues running an amd64 ltsp server I have noticed:
1) Flash - gnash flash (64bit) does not run on clients for some reason,
2) local device behavior is wierd (i get devices popping up on all desktops,
but I don't know if this is an amd64 or i386 error, may be an ltsp or
configuration error),
3) LDM_DirectX has poor video performance- worse than when using the ssh
encryption, which does not make sense.. means something is broken).
Problem #1, flash (and java), can be fixed by using a 32 bit version of
firefox or by running firefox as local app, which is more complicated and
less desirable for user experience as requires switching between desktop and
local apps). Problems 2 and 3 may not be amd64 ltsp server issues and may be
present on all builds. Other than that, it works fine.

I hope this helps :-)