tips for Opera users

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:26:01 BST 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> The patch is a .diff for Firefox version 3.  So I don't think I can do
> the above.  I have downloaded the source, patched successfully with the
> .diff, but can't figure out how to build only the firefox portion of the
> source and get it installed to test.  Instructions from Mozilla are very
> vague and assume that if you are attempting to build from source, you
> must already know what you are doing.

Ah, I understand.

Gutsy has the firefox-granparadiso package which is v3 firefox.  You could
conceivably backport to feisty, though to be honest, that may not be much
easier.

I'm giving it a bash now.  Instructions are:

1. Add gutsy source line to /etc/apt/sources.list
	deb-src http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
2. sudo apt-get build-dep firefox-granparadiso
3. apt-get source firefox-granparadiso
4. cd firefox-granparadiso-3.0~alpha7
5. debbuild -uc -us
6. Remove the sources.list line to avoid further confusion.

I'm still building it, so I'm not sure if it'll work to be honest, but if
it does, I guess you should then be able to put your patch in
debian/patches/ and hopefully it will apply, at which point your package
will build the nice debian way.