Disable logout prompt

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 5 04:46:16 BST 2007

I had trouble with students not logging out the past week as well, much like David Trask
mentioned.  Part of the problem we had is students in a hurry clicked the quit icon in
the upper right hand corner of the screen or the logout option under system, then did
not wait to click logout the second time when prompted.  So I disabled the logout
prompt, problem solved.  After all, our students shouldn't be doing anything else but
logging out anyhow, right?

To disable install gconf-editor if you haven't already with "sudo apt-get install
gconf-editor".  Then run gconf-editor as a superuser with "sudo gconf-editor" (superuser
is necessary to make mandatory and default changes).  Then navigate to
apps>gnome-session>options then uncheck the box next to logout_prompt.  Now right click
the logout_prompt text and choose "Set as Mandatory", repeat and select "Set as Default".
Now all current and any new users will simply logout without getting a second logout prompt.

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188