xterminator

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 5 04:06:40 BST 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:45:44 -0400, Matt Oquist wrote
> Yes -- there is a deliberate 4-second pause on login to allow
> processes to die politely before whalloping them with kill -9.
>
> This sounds like another good config file option, d'ya think? :)
>
> --matt

What are the problems that arise just killing not so politely?  Is there a risk of
file corruption or something?  I guess I just don't know the difference.

For me, I wouldn't mind going back to the fast login even if it meant killing with
force (although I don't fully understand the implications).  Our system has been fast,
killer fast, and users may get the wrong impression here.  However I am sure if the
pause is a necessity, users will soon see the delay as normal and won't have a problem
with it.

If the not polite kill option doesn't cause too serious of problems, then I wouldn't
mind seeing the option added to the config (once it exists :-).

Thanks for your work on this Matt, hopefully this can still get squeezed into Gutsy.
If nothing else at least you have made it very simple to install.

Jim