Fwd: Re: Feisty vs Dapper

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Sun Oct 7 03:50:56 BST 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 05:21:47PM -0700, Rehan Afzal wrote:
> Actually I just got a Dell Laptop D531 and its support page had Ubuntu 7.04 Drivers. so naturally I downloaded Feisty as I had always wanted to use Linux on my Laptops.
>
>   In the beginning it was pretty fascinating but now it appears to be no different from Windows ! ( No offense )

In what way.  No offence here as well, but you're coming on this list with
a lot of very loud complaints, but giving us no useful information to help you.

>   On the other hand I feel the problems are much more on AMD platform compared to Intel.
>
>   Right now the shut down problem is really bugging me !
>
>   A single hard-boot and my installation is gone !
>   Thanks for the reply.
>   Any ideas !

I've got lots.

When you say "A single hard-boot and my installation is gone", what, EXACTLY
do you mean?  It won't just DISAPPEAR after a hard boot.  Does it start to
boot?  How far does it get?  Can you hit "escape" during the 2 second
"grub" message at the beginning to get the kernel list?  If so, you can
edit the kernel command line to take out the "quiet splash" options to
see more of what's going on during a boot.

More information from you will go a long way to helping us help you.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."