SOLVED Re: do I need to do something special to use more than 4 Gigs under Feisty?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:46:50 BST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, john  wrote:

> My question are:
> 1) What am I missing, forgetting etc?

There's nothing too glaring I guess.  However, a couple of things occur to
me.

  - You mention linking two buildings with vlans.  Do you have a direct
    network connection between the two or did you mean VPN?  If it's
    VPN, what speed is the line?

  - If your server fails (eg motherboard failure), what happens?  Do you
    have a fall back server ready to swap back in?

> 2) Is my authentication scheme nuts? I can't dump Active Directory,
> but is there a better way to do this?

It seems reasonable enough to me.

> 2) Do I need a "real" server doing RAID 5 or whatever for the LDAP Backend

Probably not for LDAP, but if you have 50-100 users with their home
directories on one server, that server better have a good fast disk array
with good (probably scsi) disks.  It would also want to have some sort of
redundancy so that when a disk fails, your server doesn't go down.  RAID10
is expensive but seems like the ideal solution.  RAID5 will give you some
performance increase and some limited redundancy, but it's limited.

> 3) Am I REALLY off base with my proposed setup?

I don't think so.  I've not done the AD auth setup myself much but I know
it can be done without too much pain.