SOLVED Re: do I need to do something special to use more than 4 Gigs under Feisty?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Thu May 31 22:35:38 BST 2007

>   - You mention linking two buildings with vlans.  Do you have a direct
>     network connection between the two or did you mean VPN?  If it's
>     VPN, what speed is the line?

The bullding have a mult-imode fiber backbone and right now the LTSP
installations are on separate vlans. If I get this really working well
I may make a new "ltsp vlan" and dedicate a strand to it.

>   - If your server fails (eg motherboard failure), what happens?  Do you
>     have a fall back server ready to swap back in?
Currently I do, but in the next round, with a larger, more expensive
server, I probably won't. I would probably just replace the Mobo as
fast as I could get a new one. Possibly a bad idea, let me think about
that....

> > 2) Do I need a "real" server doing RAID 5 or whatever for the LDAP Backend
  RAID10
> is expensive but seems like the ideal solution.  RAID5 will give you some
> performance increase and some limited redundancy, but it's limited.
Do you think I can get away with something like a pcix based raid
controller like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118086

John