SOLVED Re: do I need to do something special to use more than 4 Gigs under Feisty?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Thu May 31 16:42:52 BST 2007

Thanks for your interest Gavin and Jim, I appreciate it.

I am sort of feeling my way along on this. This is a big step up for
us in terms of # of clients and in computing power. Right now I have
two separate installations of LTSP/Client servers each doing 18 thin
clients. The servers are commodity p4 workstations with 2G ram and 3
Ghz cpu's. We're using NTAVO 6020's and old IPAQ's for thin clients.
We use winbind to sync with Win2k3 AD.

The intial setup for "phase 2" will only serve 35 or so clients and
depending on what we see in terms of performance we may double that by
connecting two buildings via vlan.

Here's a little background ( posted the stuff below to the k12osn list
a couple of days ago so sorry if you've  already seen this. If you
have any ideas based on what I've written below, I'd love to hear
them:

Hardware

35 thin clients client computers
1 LTSP server (2 duel core opteron 8100, 8 Gigs of ram, Edubuntu 7.04)
1 "backend" file server doing NFS, SAMBA, LDAP and Webdav, 3 Ghz
workstation with 4Gb ram (Centos or Ubuntu LTS 6.06)
1 Dedicated Gig E switch

Software/networking:

1. The LTSP server will authenticates clients via the LDAP backend
server. Users home directories will be stored on the backend server.
2.  The LDAP backend server will be joined to our Windows AD Domain, via
winbind and linux user accounts will be automagically created via SAMBA
which stores account info in LDAP per
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html#id369912

My question are:
1) What am I missing, forgetting etc?
2) Is my authentication scheme nuts? I can't dump Active Directory,
but is there a better way to do this?
2) Do I need a "real" server doing RAID 5 or whatever for the LDAP Backend
3) Am I REALLY off base with my proposed setup?

Many thanks for any and all ideas!

John