SOLVED Re: do I need to do something special to use more than 4 Gigs under Feisty?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu May 31 09:12:27 BST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 30 May 2007, john  wrote:

> Installing the Linux-Image-Server did the trick for memory support and
> all is well with the LTSP clients.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with this.

I've never had more than a passing understanding of PAE.  I know there to
be limitations in that the extra memory can't be used in as simple a way as
the first 4GB and that there can be a "cost" to this, but I've never been
clear whether it was a cost worth paying sometimes or always (I presume
it's useful at least sometimes).  I've also heard some people raise
questions about whether all drivers would be perfectly stable but this may
not be a big concern.

Regardless of the PAE stuff, as 8GB RAM with 32-bit Edubuntu and 80-100
users is probably a fairly unusual configuration for edubuntu it would be
great if you could let us know how you get on after a month or two up and
running.  I'd be particularly interested in the stability, perceived
responsiveness under load and what sort of RAM usage you see in practice.
If you have time to set it up it would be interesting to monitor the server
using something like munin.

	http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

We could probably be of some help with that onlist if you needed it.

My instincts would usually have been to stick with 32-Bit Ubuntu on 4GB
RAM, but if this works well, that would be very useful to know.