edubuntu user accounts: language

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Mon May 7 16:10:09 BST 2007

hello everybody,

I still have problems with handling languages for different users.

before I had a dell workstation with edubuntu and everybody logged in locally on
this workstation. this worked perfectly also with different languages for
different people without the need of specifying the desired language on every
login.

now I have moved the workstation to a different room and I am booting to the
LTSP server using a diskless computer. works fine so far, but on every login
the user has to specify the desired language, otherwise he gets the system
default language.

this is not what I want. I would like that every user just has to specify once,
which his/her preferred language is and then the system will choose that
language when the user returns (logs in again).

is there a way to do this? it looks like the diskless thin client is the
problem, but for me it makes no sense. the language should be bound to the user
and not to the machine, shouldn't it?

hope to get some help from you.

rgds,

uwe