Bloomington North's Linux Initiative in the News

Simon Ruiz sruiz at mccsc.edu
Mon Mar 5 14:06:47 GMT 2007

Hello Todd,

Awesome, it's great to hear about Ubuntu labs cropping up around the country. The U.S. is well behind other countries as far as Open Source in schools, and it's cases like yours and mine that will help change that.

We're using the Desktop installation of Ubuntu, no LTSP, and we're using the iTALC software to handle monitoring and classroom management. I don't know if it will work with LTSP; and if it does I don't know how efficient it would be. You might consider joining the italc-users mailing list (advertised at http://italc.sourceforge.net) and asking about your particular use case. Or, you might consider going ahead and installing it and seeing what happens!

There are no Ubuntu packages available so you'd need to get your hands a little dirty on the command line compiling it from source, but I've put together a very basic (no prior compiling experience expected) HOWTO about it at http://indianalinux.blogspot.com/2007/02/howto-install-italc-from-source-on.html - Note that I'm still working out some bugs with the developer as far as specific functionality, have made progress since this post, and will have an updated HOWTO up soon, but this could get you up and running so that you could see whether it even works for you.

You should also consider re-evaluating the SCP later, maybe when Feisty comes out, as it's a very young project, but it is geared quite specifically towards what you're looking for in the LTSP environment. Have you filed bugs against the project in launchpad, expressing your difficulties? Your feedback could help make the SCP better suit your needs, as well as those of teachers all around the world.

Anyhow, I hope this is of some help, best of luck with your Ubuntu lab, and when the questions pop up, ask them!

Take care!

Sim?n