Help with the Specs!

Kalyani karkalyani at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 06:29:20 BST 2007

I'm an educator planning to have an afterschool lab with 10 thinclients that
will run on EDUBUNTU. The software I will be running includes OpenOffice,
Firefox and all the educational software that comes with EDUBUNTU (including
GCompris, Tuxmath, the KDE-EDUeducational  applications like Kstars,
Kalcium, Kplot, Kturtle, etc.). The following are the specs I have got for
thin clients and the server.

*HP Compaq t5135 Thin Client (plan to have 8-10 of these)
*Chipset: Northbridge: VIA CN700; Southbridge: VIA VT8237
Flash Memory: 64 MB Flash Memory
Main Memory: System Memory 128 MB (16 MB reserved for video)
Processor: VIA Eden 400 MHz
Network Interface:
TCP/IP with Dynamic DNS and DHCP support
10/100 BaseT Fast Ethernet, twisted pair (RJ-45)
Direct Connection through Point-to-Point over Ethernet (PPPoE),
Layer-2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)
Wake on LAN, PXE
Ports / Slots: 8 USB 2.0 ports, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2
Local Operating System: HP ThinConnect (based on Debian Linux 3.1 with Linux
kernel 2.6)

*HP ProLiant ML110 G3 Server
*Processor Capable / Intel E7230 server chipset / P4 3.0GHz(800MHz FSB) with
2048KB L2 Cache / 512MBx2 PC2 4200 DDR II memory / Single Channel Ultra320
SCSI Adapter / 36GB Non-Hot Plug SCSI HDD  / 3-1-1 warranty

I am new to linux and quite unsure about the if hardware specs are ok for
what I plan to do. So, please help by letting me know if they are ok!

Thanks!

Kalyani