Problem setting up RAID/LVM at installation

Denis Melnikov dmelnik at regent.ru
Mon Apr 16 15:31:30 BST 2007

After some reading :) I used Ubuntu 6.10 Alternate Disk.
It allowed me to setup RAID/LVM more-or-less successfully.
I said 'more-or-less' because I had to point kernel and initrd
location when first booting and thereafter edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and /etc/fstab.

To transform Ubuntu into Edubuntu I inserted Edubuntu 6.10 Disk
and:

$ apt-cdrom add
$ aptitude install edubuntu-desktop (by the way, is it enough?)

aptitude copied packages from the CD and then asked to insert
Ubuntu CD. After I'd inserted the CD and pressed <Enter>,
aptitude aborted with segmentation fault. Now I can neither
`aptitude remove` nor repeat the installation.

How can I revert the system state back to the one just after
`apt-cdrom add`?
What is the right way to make Edubuntu out of Ubuntu-alternate?
Whether Edubuntu developers are here, why there is no
Edubuntu Alternate CD? We've got [k|x]ubuntu-alternate but
no edubuntu. Why?

Denis