Two programs that I think would be great to add to Ubuntu/Edubuntu.

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 15 10:26:56 BST 2007

hi,
Am Samstag, den 14.04.2007, 11:57 +0200 schrieb William Kinghorn:
> Hi All,
>
> Two programs that I think would be great to add to Ubuntu/Edubuntu.
>
> DRBL - Diskless Remote Boot in Linux  http://drbl.sourceforge.net/
>
> I know that this is not thin client as LSTP, but for the people that want to run Edubuntu as workstations in their labs, or Ubuntu etc as workstations.
thats something we call fat-client in ltsp.
since we want it fully integrated with all parts of the system (i.e. the
server needs a proper network authentication service the clients can
connect to and home direcories need to be mounted from there in a safe
way ...) so it takes a bit longer to implement it the right way (right
way mans wer need to be able to support it even in very big deployments)
but it is on the list [1] as well in ubuntu/edubuntu as also upstream in
ltsp :) gutsy gibbon (7.10) is planned to have poper network
authentication in ubuntu which we then will be able to use.

if you just want a netbooted diskless workstation, ltsp is able to give
you that with some manual fiddling since breezy ;)

if drbl is available in a porper packackage (or at least in a
packageable way) i'd suggest to contact ubuntu-motu so it gets into
universe :)

ciao
	oli