Wiki cleanup and Negative feedback

Ace Suares ace at suares.an
Sun Sep 6 00:58:16 UTC 2009

Dear devels,

In my efforts to clean up the wiki, I did the following:

- moved all Meeting Logs from /MeetingLogs/Edubuntu_year-mm-dd to
/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/year-mm-dd
- merged everything in /Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Records with those

the result is https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs,

a page that lists ALL meeting records and meeting logs in one page, and
each meeting has it's individual page too.

(ALL meaning here: the pages that where on the wiki, it misses many
meetings!)

While I was busy, Laserjock came in and said it was a bad idea to rename
 (move) the MeetingLogs pages. Then later came ScottK, who never
introduced himself but apparently has a lot of clout around the ubuntu wiki.

SocottK and LaserJock where strongly opposed to moving pages, per se.
They say that it will break external links and wreak havoc on indexers
and search engines like Google. Also some people might have bookmarks to
these pages.

I don't think that is a valid argument in case of the meeting logs. They
are old meetings (most pre 2008) and solely used for internal
communication. Their relevance is generally very low, except for
historical and informational usage.

If it's really needed, I can make redirects for each page I moved. I
didn't do that on purpose, since with so many redirects, the wiki stays
cluttered with unuseful pages. For some pages a redirect might be
needed, in my opinion not for the meeting logs.

For me it feels very though all this. I started the cleanup of the wiki
more then a month ago. I did some stuff, proposed some stuff, and in
general there was very little reaction.

I wanted to go on with it but I was told to wait for a meeting, that
wasn't even scheduled at that time. When the meeting finally came, there
was very low attendance. As far as I know the meeting concluded that I
should do whatever I felt made sense. There where no reactions to the
meeting, and to the summary mail I sent. There was even a meeting last
friday, which I was supposed to put in the fridge and on the site but
which I didn't by lack of time.

(I scheduled a weekly meeting at friday 17:00 UTC in the fridge now, I
still can't see it but Nathan from Ubuntu tells me they are there.)

Really, i am at a loss here. What can I do and what can't I do? What is
sensible and what isn't? And when I propose stuff or ask questions, who
is there to answer and think things trough together?

I sincerely hope the Edubuntu Team/Community approves of my recent
edits, as the result is this:
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs

I offer to make redirects for every page I moved, if that is a really
strong necessity. I don't like the work, because for me it's work
without value, and I generally try to avoid that, but if the Team says
so, I am still willing to do it because I can understand the *feelings*
(not the arguments just yet).

Sincerely,
Ace