rdp and sound

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:46:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Ernie Hudson wrote:

> I installed edubuntu 6.10, performed all the updates. The only issue that I
> have is that when I terminal into my windows 2003 server I do not receive
> sound on my thin clients. I have also tried on a dell desktop as well. I
> know that sound from the sever works as when I terminal in from my windows
> desktop the sound works. I have enabled sound through terminal services  in
> group polcy.

While I've used the terminal server client quite a lot I've never tried to
use sound so I'm making a guess here.

These archived emails suggest that rdesktop for linux doesn't work well (or
at all?) with Esound, instead it attempts to write direct to your sound
card.

http://www.redhat.ru/archives/k12osn/2006-September/msg00332.html
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=37234838

If this is true it will be moreorless impossible to use rdesktop with sound
on a thin client as rdesktop will send sound output direct to the thin
client server's sound card.

Gavin