Another idea-Re: Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Oct 21 06:31:43 UTC 2006

As schools begin to adopt things like Edubuntu, K12LTSP...etc on a large
scale....being able to set up multiple servers and centralized
authentication is a big point.  I already do this using Samba/LDAP.  I
have multiple K12LTSP servers and a Samba/LDAP server for all users and
their home directories.  This makes adding servers to the mix....a
cinch...as I don't have to worry about users and their data....I simply
point the new server to the Samba/LDAP box.  Matt Oquist and I (more Matt
than me) have come up with smbldap-installer which makes setting up a
Samba/LDAP server very easy (http://www.majen.net/smbldap) and thus gives
the average school IT person(s) another option for centralized
authentication of student accounts.  The scripts do a lot with user
creation and passwords as well.  You can also easily set up BDC's as well.
 We have it working very well in Ubuntu as well as K12LTSP and Fedora
Core.  In fact, I find Ubuntu server to be one of the better ways to set
up a Samba/LDAP server.  Anway...my point...

This may be beyond the scope of Ubuntu/Edubuntu, but one thing school
folks need is the ability to easily set up centralized authentication for
their Edubuntu network....especially for growing or large networks with
multiple servers.  Maybe this is something that could be offered.  It
could also use a pretty face....right now everything is done in the
CLI...although it's still quite easy...but to make it more attractive to
the masses...putting a "pretty clicky" interface with it...will speed
adoption.  Just a thought.  :-)