Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version : Features & Comments & Sugge

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Oct 21 05:58:23 UTC 2006

Richard Weideman <richard at ubuntu.com> writes:
>* Ubuntu
>  - base operating system
>  - the features here would apply across Ubuntu / Edubuntu / Kubuntu
>
>* Edubuntu
>  - the classroom desktop
>  - the classroom server

One thing I'd like to see...and this is a broad issue and encompasses LTSP
as well....and that is to get a better handle on sound and video.  It's a
bit difficult to get all the pieces working for a decent classroom
multi-media experience...especially for newbies.  ALSA, OSS, ESD, NASD,
ARTS...etc.   Much of that means little to the average IT guy just
learning about Linux and Edubuntu....it'd be nice if maybe a more
standardized approached to sound and video in Edubuntu might be possible.
I've heard a lot of good things about Pulse Audio.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org